Property Accountant & Portfolio Administrator
Job TypeFull time
Come join us at Effort trust and become a part of our Residential Property Administration Team! We are currently looking for a portfolio administrator and accountant to support the Residential Property Administration Team at our Hamilton office. This position encompasses two roles which involves a variety of duties related to both accounting and the managing of a residential portfolio.
The successful candidate will report to the Manager of Residential Accounting & Administration and will work closely with other team members in the department to perform both administrative and accounting functions for a portfolio of multi-residential properties. This is a fast-paced role with a variety of daily tasks and responsibilities. The successful candidate will be an organized individual who loves to keep busy and work closely with people. If this sounds like you keep reading, this might be the perfect opportunity for you!
Portfolio Administration Responsibilities:
- Provide customer service to tenants.
- Enter tenant receipts and pre-authorized payment information as needed.
- Process tenant leases and yearly renewals.
- Manage move-ins and move-outs in a timely manner.
- Process monthly Non-Payment of Rent notifications.
- Work as a team with the site staff and property managers to ensure the rent is collected on time each month.
- Support the Paralegal with legal documentation as required.
- Work closely with the Property Managers and site staff to ensure tenant information is kept current and accurate. Prepare monthly bank statements.
- Be aware of and keep up to date with the Ontario RTA (Residential Tenancies Act) as it relates to your daily functions.
- Other duties as required.
- Act as subject matter expert to assist other team members to resolve accounting discrepancies and inaccuracies for the residential portfolio.
- Process journal entries as required for the residential portfolio.
- Participate in the development, training and implementation of accounting policies and procedures.
- Prepare HST returns accurately while adhering to their deadlines where required.
- Manage documentation from bank (NSF's, bank statements, fraudulent activity).
- Assist in the development of the annual operating budget.
- Liaise and respond with external auditors to address/review issues and queries, as required.
- Other duties as required.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- A college level diploma in accounting is required, with preference given to candidates who are pursuing their professional designation.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a similar role in property management preferred.
- An individual who is proficient in Microsoft Office with exceptional skills in Excel.
- We can consider it an asset if you have working knowledge of Yardi.
- Knowledge of the Residential Tenancies Act is required.
- Excellent organizational, time management, communication, and customer service skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to engage with customer issues using tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, and ability to think on your feet.
- Contributes positively to our upbeat work environment.
Please email your cover letter and resume to:
The Effort Trust Company welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidate taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We welcome all applications, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.