Frequently Asked Questions

How long is a rental term?

We offer one year leases.

What do I need to bring when applying for a rental?

  • Name & Phone of your Current Landlord, so we may call for a reference.
  • Proof of Income (i.e. Letter of Employment, Pay Stub, etc.)
  • Employer Name, Contact Name, Phone Number, and Address, so we may confirm your place of employment and income information. 
  • Amount equal to one month's rent (The amount of one month's rent is required in guaranteed funds as a Contract Deposit with the completed rental application and will become your Last Month's Rent if you are approved and a Tenancy Agreement is signed. Please note: if you are not approved for any reason the contract deposit will be returned, however, failure to enter into a Tenancy Agreement once approved, will result in a forfeit of your contract deposit).
  • Proof of Identification (i.e. Driver's License, Passport, Health Card, etc...).
  • We review credit references, credit bureau rating, rental history and employment/income verification.

What payment methods do you accept?

  • Preauthorized Debit 
  • Post Dated Cheques (Dated 1st Day of the Month)
  • Cheques (Dated 1st Day of the Month)  

What is the Landlord and Tenant Board?

The mission of the Landlord and Tenant Board is to inform landlords and tenants about their rights and responsibilities under the Residential Tenancies Act. Please visit the LTB Website for helpful information and resources for tenants.

We also encourage you to review the Information for New Tenants brochure produced by the Landlord and Tenant Board and provided by Effort Trust. 

Do I need tenant/renters' insurance?

Effort Trust requires that all tenants provide proof of tenant/renters' insurance.

How do I give proper notice if moving out?

If you are currently in the middle of a signed lease, you are bound to that lease, for the agreed upon term. As the leaseholder, you are responsible for the unit until the lease-end or re-rental, whichever comes first.

Any time that a tenant decides to end their tenancy, they must provide Effort Trust with a written notice 60 days prior to the termination date. The notice form that tenants must use to end their tenancy is called a Tenant's Notice to Terminate the Tenancy (Form N9). The notice must tell the landlord the last day the tenant plans to live in the unit - the termination date. This termination date must be the last day of the tenancy.

For Example, if the tenant,

  • pays rent on the 1st of each month and they do not have a lease for a fixed term, and
  • they give the landlord notice on June 20th, the earliest possible termination date the tenant could put in the notice is August 31st.

In this example, the tenant is giving more than 60 days notice because the termination date must be the last day of the monthly rental period.

Note: To count the correct number of days for the notice, you do not count the day the notice is given, but you do count the termination date. If the notice is mailed, you must add 5 days.

Please refer to the Landlord and Tenant Board brochure on How a Tenant Can End Their Tenancy for additional information.

How do I report a complaint about another tenant (ie: noise, harrassment, illegal act, etc.)?

First, be sure to reach out to your Superintendent and make them aware of the situation.  We also ask, that you complete the Tenant Complaint Report in full and provide it to your Superintendent.  This form allows us to properly record all the necessary information so that we can take appropriate action.

Can I transfer the remainder of my lease to another Effort Trust property?

Unfortunately, we are not able to transfer existing leases from one property to another. We do try to work with residents as much as possible when circumstances dictate they must move before their lease term expires. Ultimately, however, you are responsible for the remainder of your lease term at your current property.

Can I get out of my lease early if needed?

Under certain situations a resident may not be able to fulfill their entire lease term. We will provide our cooperation in resolving this situation as a win-win for all. However, if you do decide to terminate your lease early without our consent, we must abide by the lease and you are responsible for the remainder of your lease.

I have a complaint. Who can I talk to?

We realize there are some situations that may need extra management attention. If you have spoken with the Superintendent of your property, and you would like to speak to someone else about your situation, please contact our Offices at (905) 528-8956.