BEAT THE SUMMER HEAT
Beat the Heat this Summer Without A/C
Tap Into Water's Refreshing Effects
Water will cool you off even faster than air. Direct contact with cold water not only provides instant relief through evaporative cooling, but also has lingering effects that can help you get through the day;
1. Wear a dampened towel around your neck
2. Take cool showers
3. Use a cheap plastic dish tub to soak your feet in cool/cold water
4. Drink plenty of water
5. Freeze a damp cloth for a re-energizing cold compress
6. Make some homemade popsicles for a refreshing snack
Evaporative coolers - units that transfer heat from air to water to create a cool breeze - are highly effective. You can also achieve this type of cooling via lower-tech methods, such as hanging a damp sheet over an open window or door to catch the breeze coming through, or situating a fan to blow air across frozen water bottles.
During the hottest stretch of the day;
1. Wear light clothing
2. Keep your south and west windows closed and shaded
3. Turn on ceiling fans
4. After sunset, open all windows and use fans to flush warm air out and pull cooler night air in
The less heat you generate inside your unit, the easier it will be to cool off. All energy-consuming appliances and devices produce heat so don't run anything that's unnecessary;
1. Switch to low energy light bulbs or turn lights off, even lights produce heat
2. Keep your oven off and avoid boiling anything on your stove-top, which releases humidity
3. Plan meals ahead of time and cook just one day per week. If you do this, plan to just quickly reheat the meals, or eat cold meals with more fruits and vegetables so your kitchen stays cooler
If all else fails, get out…..find a mall to walk around in or a cool café to relax in for a bit. If you have kids there are lots of local parks with free outdoor water/splash pads. A dip in the nearby rec pool will help cool you down as well and maybe even a cold treat when you can.
SUMMER IS OFFICIALLY HERE….AND IT LOOKS TO BE A HOT ONE!