Looking For An Apartment?
Looking for an apartment? Don't know where to start? Here are some steps to get you into the unit of your choice…..an Effort Trust unit that is.
1. Make contact: come to Head Office and pick up a list of vacancies (newly printed every Tuesday) or email email@example.com and request a PDF copy of the vacancy list (updated every Monday).
2. Make appointments: use your list to call the 1-800 numbers provided below every building name on the list and inquire about a date and time to view units that is convenient for both you and the site staff.
3. View units: view as many units as you might be interested in (but don't leave applications unless you are sure it's the one).
4. Apply for a unit: once you have found the unit that you would like to live in, ask the site staff at that property for an application. You will be asked for references (current and previous landlords and two personal references, other than relatives), proof of income, permission to perform a credit inquiry (in order to determine how you have paid your bills), a certified cheque or money order in the amount of the contract deposit – (this will become last months' rent upon approval and signing of the Tenancy Agreement). Most properties require a contract deposit with the application (this will be confirmed when you get the application) and ALL properties require a credit history to be performed (so it is not recommended that you apply for more than one unit).
5. Wait for a call: once the on-site staff sends your paperwork to Head Office, the Property Manager for that particular property will review it and make a decision. This can take a few business days. If you have not heard a response within four business days you can follow up with the on-site staff that gave you the application. They will be able to tell you if you are approved, rejected or you MAY be asked for a qualified guarantor if you do not qualify on your own. Please note that when signing an application with Effort Trust you agreed to the following statement and place your signature below it; "It is agreed that if this Application is rejected, the Landlord shall not be required to give reasons why."
6. You have been approved: great! You have found your new home. Please keep in contact with your new Super and make arrangements to sign your Tenancy Agreement, pick up your keys and pay your first month's rent. You may opt to hand in 12 post-dated cheques or sign up for PAP. The on-site staff for your new home will be your first point of contact for all questions and concerns about your unit. Always call them first and if you require anything that they cannot provide for you, please call Head Office.
THANK YOU FOR RENTING WITH EFFORT TRUST!